In the ever-evolving landscape of education, technology continues to play a pivotal role in shaping engaging and effective learning experiences. For elementary school educators, fostering a love for reading and improving literacy skills is a top priority. Here, we highlight five exceptional EdTech resources that support student discussion and contribute to enhancing literacy in elementary classrooms.
- Description: Epic stands out as a comprehensive digital library of online books catering to a wide range of reading levels. From audiobooks for beginners to chapter books for more advanced readers, Epic offers diverse content.
- Create quizzes for assigned books.
- Assign collections to students.
- Access to around 20,000 books for free (additional books with a school account).
- Benefits: Enables research and learning on various topics, fostering a passion for reading and exploration.
- Description: Vooks is an animated story platform designed for PK-2 grade teachers, providing visually engaging stories read aloud to students.
- Animated stories with read-aloud functionality.
- Lessons supporting animated stories, including discussion points and themes.
- Benefits: Enhances storytelling experiences and comprehension through animated narratives.
3. Discovery Education:
- Description: Discovery Education is a versatile resource offering a myriad of tools and lessons for educators and students.
- Read aloud stories with accompanying lessons.
- Engaging videos for comprehension and discussion.
- Varied lessons covering SEL, art, science, and more.
- Benefits: Supports a holistic approach to education, integrating diverse lessons to enhance reading skills and overall understanding.
4. Storyline Online:
- Description: Initially a platform where actors read children’s books, Storyline Online has evolved into a resource providing stories and accompanying lesson plans.
- Stories read by actors.
- Lesson plans with scaffolding and discussion prompts.
- Aligned with Common Core Standards.
- Benefits: Facilitates student engagement and discussion, offering a rich repository of well-loved children’s stories.
- Description: Readworks is a free website offering a variety of reading passages spanning K-12 grade levels.
- Listening passages with highlighted vocabulary.
- Questions for comprehension, including various question types.
- Paired texts for making connections and writing assignments.
- Benefits: Supports differentiated instruction, encourages class discussions, and prepares students for standardized tests.
Embracing these EdTech resources empowers educators to create dynamic and interactive literacy experiences, igniting a lifelong love for reading in elementary students. As technology continues to shape the future of education, these tools serve as valuable companions in the journey toward fostering literacy skills and a genuine passion for learning.